27 January 2014

album review: cavalier youth




 
After hearing the initial releases from You Me At Six's highly anticipated album, I can't say I was excited for it. 

The band claim that with this album, they are attempting to disassociate themselves with the typical pop bands that they are associated with, something that they were trying to do with their previous album, Sinners Never Sleep. With Cavalier Youth, I don't think that this will be happening any time soon, especially as an increasing number of bands are maturing and distancing themselves away from this genre, such as All Time Low.

I often think that the first track of an album is the most important and sets the initial impression of the whole album. Unfortunately, this appears to be the case for You Me At Six. Both Too Young To Feel This Old and Lived a Lie, I feel are nothing particularly special. Fresh Start Fever gave me hope that the album would be better as I genuinely like the song yet the next two songs following don't impress either. Many of the songs give off similar vibes - an attempt to write anthemic and powerful songs but don't scream out anything unique. There are a good selection of both mellow and upbeat dramatic songs but the standouts to me are probably Love Me Like You Used To and Be Who You Are.

There is nothing terrible about this album but at the same time, there is nothing incredible about it. The change from their previous material is obvious and in fact, I much prefer this album to Sinners Never Sleep. It might well be the case that the album will grow on me but I'm not sure if I will take the opportunity to let it happen.

I used to be an absolutely massive fan of the band ever since I was about fourteen and as they released more albums, my love for them greatly decreased. Whilst my dedication for them is no longer there, I still believe that they deserve to be where they are. They made their way to the top like bands should and the progression that they've made from playing simple pop rock in small club venues to headlining Wembley Arena really is a nice thing to see.

What are your thoughts on the album?

No comments:

Post a Comment