2 February 2014

album review: kill the power



Despite being an avid fan of welsh alternative music, I have never 'worshiped' Skindred like I do other South Walian bands such as Kids In Glass Houses or Save Your Breath. But listening to this album has greatly improved my opinion of them. I generalized them into a purely reggae/metal band but Kill the Power, their fourth studio album, has shown me different. 

I'm not going to use the cliche line and say that Skindred are "one of the best live bands but this doesn't translate onto CD" because I have never believed this. Songs like Ratrace, Warning and Nobody have always impressed me but this was as far into any of their previously released material as I got. 

The album both begins and ends completely differently. The opening track Kill the Power samples Kanye West's Power which contributes to its catchy, almost dance-like vibe. Ruling Force is incredibly upbeat and experiments with electronic sounds whereas More Fire is comparatively mellower and I equally enjoy this side to the band. Throughout the album, elements of various bands can constantly be heard such as You Me At Six in We Live and System of a Down in Proceed with Caution. This is not to say that Skindred lack originality, in fact the opposite. It's great that they are able to resemble different sounding bands yet still keep the distinct 'Skindred' sound. The album has it's clear pop orientated tracks like Saturday as well as the standard heavier tracks with Ninja but all the songs are as fantastically catchy as they usually are.


The stand out tracks for me would have to be, Kill The Power, Open Eyed and More Fire.

It seems that the Newport rockers have really upped their game with Kill the Power and I am greatly anticipating hearing their new songs live at their hometown gig on March 8th. The band will be supported by post-hardcore six piece, The Blackout. A true welsh rock gig takeover.

Tickets for the gig can be bought here.



love,

No comments:

Post a Comment